What is NIST 800-171?
NIST 800-171 is a set of security standards and guidelines published by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). Part of a larger cybersecurity framework, NIST 800-171 specifically focuses on the protection of controlled unclassified information (CUI) that is processed, stored, or transmitted by non-federal organizations. The standard includes requirements for access controls, incident response, and other security practices that organizations must implement to protect CUI. NIST 800-171 is relevant to any organization that handles CUI and is required by some federal contracts.
Integris can help you:
- Locate – Identify where CUI may be stored in your environment
- Categorize – Determine what files fall under CUI and separate them from file that do no qualify
- Limit – Create and implement controls that only allow access by authorized employees, limiting who can view, download and/or share files containing CUI
- Encrypt – Encrypt data in transit or at rest
- Monitor – Learn who is accessing CUI files, as well as when and where they’re doing it
- Train – Educate employees regarding fundamentals and best practices of information exchange
- Assess – Conduct security assessments and examine systems, environments, and info exchange procedures
- And more!