There’s a new strain of ransomware on the hunt for your files and your money, and it’s undetectable by your anti-virus software. It’s goal?
- Cripple your systems,
- Encrypt your files,
- Infect your network.
- Demand a ransom fee
Those are some ugly words that no business owner wants to face. It won’t even take you to dinner first; you’re just flat out left with the bill.
How does it work?
Locky will leave you a nice message to let you know your files are infected and proceed to notify you on how to pay a ransom fee and when to do it. You better hurry though, or it can double. But, wait. How can you even possibly know the attacker will stick true to their word and restore your files back?
You don’t. Messing with ransomware is a complete gamble, possibly one you can’t afford.
Well, what can I look out for?
The ransomware is triggered by “Macros”. Word documents will be attached to an email and give you an “overdue notice” to attract your attention. From there, you will see the text is scrambled and the program will ask you to run macros in order to descramble it. Don’t do that.
This will trigger a download that will encrypt the files on not only your computer, but any other computer on the same network. Your files will take on a .locky extension, showing you where the infection has spread to.
Is there anything I can do to stay protected?
Of course there is!
- Backups: Backups will save your business, if they’re done onsite and offsite. If you suffer an attack from ransomware, backups of all of your files will still be safe and out of reach. You won’t have to pay a dime knowing that all of your crucial information is safe and secure.
- Awareness: Bring awareness throughout the workforce. Your employees are your most vulnerable source to attacks:
- Report all suspicious activity immediately,
- Update your security software often,
- Scan removable devices,
- Properly configure your firewall and security settings,
- Do not download, click or open suspicious links or emails.
Even though the ransomware will give you an option to pay, it does not mean the attacker has any intentions of sticking to their word and restoring your files back. This is professional grade malware and entry-grade solutions will not protect you. You cannot even rely on your endpoint security tools to save you.
Integris protects your business with professional-grade security, we:
- Save your money,
- Protect your business,
- Minimize the risk of attacks.
Now those are 3 words every business owner loves. Start with an introductory consultation. Call (888) 330-8808, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the form to book now.